Moral human behavior optimizes the survival and nourishment of the human species. . .
Immoral behavior is a threat to all mankind.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united states of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all!

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Ann Coulter, please get out of the gutter

Can this woman do any more damage to our collective sense of decency and class? Hasn’t she reached the bottom yet?

Before you start jumping on me for defending anyone she has attacked, I want to tell you right up front that I do not support John Edwards, I do not support any candidate that she has attacked. I support common decency. I also support the idea that everyone has the right to say what they want to say but I believe there is a line that you do not cross. When you cross that line you show the world how little you respect yourself and others. Attacking someone in the mean-spirited manner in which Ann Coulter attacked Al Gore, Bill Clinton, and John Edwards and his family crossed that line.

In my opinion, any person who wants to become a public personality is representing the rest of us. A public personality represents America’s educational system and our collective moral and ethical standards. As a self-appointed spokesperson for all Americans, Ann Coulter should have the common decency to maintain a level of class and decorum and shun ‘hate-speech’. If she wants to talk street trash then she should stay out of the camera’s eye where the rest of the world cannot see her and we don’t have to be subjected to her low opinion of us as American’s. To resort to name calling and character assassination degrades herself and panders to the under-educated citizens who eat this stuff up in the super market tabloids.

I know this woman is better educated than this. I’ve heard her speak and I used to value her opinion, I did not always agree with her but now I won’t even listen to what she has to say. This woman can show some class, as we all can, she chooses not to. Why, only she knows. I have to wonder if she is suffering from some sort of psychological break-down. Is she lowering her standards as an educated person for the pursuit of dollars and notoriety and the hell with what people think?

On a larger scale, the world’s view of Americans is that we are a bunch of uncouth, lower-classed, violent, thugs and lately every time this woman opens her mouth this opinion of us is further substantiated.

Please Ms Coulter, pick yourself up out of the gutter and show some class.

And now for the media’s role in all of this. The media loves controversy and drama. They love outrageous behavior. They love it to the point that they will seek out and support this activity in an attempt to gain something as fleeting and myopic as ratings and ad dollars. The media, in general, and television in particular, is just as guilty of portraying America as a bunch of short-sighted, untrustworthy, self-indulgent, spoiled, brats and as long as it brings money in for the studios it will never stop.

America, we need to raise our standards. Please, think outside yourselves and start looking at a bigger picture. Stop playing the role of fools and show the world that we are not as they think we are.

2 comments:

Anthony said...

Hey...I just started blogging. I'm in a learning phase. I love a serious political blog...I'll check in from time to time. I know what you're saying about decency. The entire tone of political debate is bottom feeding. I spent about two hours in the morning listening to talk left sirius radio. Some of the people who called in to the shows were using the f bomb as punctuation every third word. Coulter strayed North of the border (and I'm not excusing the excesses but some of the left extremists spend their whole lives in the hate soup. So it seems. Anyway, my blog is

moeursalen.blogspot.com

Please check it out if you get a minute. Leave a comment. I'm doing my best to stay out of the gutter.

Anonymous said...

It is really sad to see the level of sophistication of the general public (as illustrated by the language they use to express their thoughts) go downhill like this. And I hate to see it becoming so 'acceptable'.

Welcome to blogging and try to stay light-hearted.

I'll check out your blog soon, I need the vacation, the gutter is getting way too crowded.

There is no wealth like knowledge and no poverty like ignorance. -Ali ibn Abi Talib

Transgressions that are tolerated today will become common place tomorrow. -Greg W

"If you are thinking a year ahead, sow a seed. If you are thinking ten years ahead, plant a tree. If you are thinking one hundred years ahead, educate the people."
Chinese Proverb